Archive for October, 2010

Internet Explorer “no such interface supported” Errors

Thursday, October 21st, 2010

Lately I have been getting the infamous “error on page” message when attempting to access certain web sites using IE 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit.  A little digging revealed that the actual error was “No such interface supported” errors being thrown by the Java script window.open() method.  Google reveals a number of suggestions for how to fix this problem, most of which involve registering various DLLs using regsvr32.  None of the suggested fixes worked for me though.

Finally I found that using IE 64-bit got rid of the problem.  Obviously there is a problem running IE 32-bit on 64-bit windows.  Sheesh!

Updated 11/10/2010

I finally got completely fed up with having to remember to run IE 64-bit for sites that used the window.open() method.  A bit more Googling turned up a link to a script that re-registered all of the DLLs required to make IE 32-bit happy.  The script can be found here:

http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

There are number of files available for download.  To fix this problem you want the one titled ie8-rereg.32on64.zip.

Just close all open applications on your PC and run the .CMD file.  To do that, extract the .CMD file from the ZIP archive, start CMD.EXE as administrator and execute the .CMD file.

You can also get the file  here.  This is just a copy of the file downloaded from the link given above.  I make no guarantees about the usefulness or safety of this file.  Use at your own risk.

Firefox 0×8001010e errors

Thursday, October 21st, 2010

I recently began encountering intermittent 0×8001010e errors when trying to display .ASP content from my web site in Firefox.  The problem didn’t manifest when using IE.  Googling the error code didn’t provide any solutions, but it did point out that the error had something to do with “marshalling” something to the wrong thread.  It was suggested that my application needed to be configured as its own “highly protected” application but doing this did not solve the problem.

After much head scratching and cursing, I began to wonder if Firefox might be keeping the connection to my web server open and somehow confusing IIS and my application.  I finally changed the network.http.keep-alive setting to False in about:config in Firefox.  This seems to have solved the problem for now.

It sure would be nice to know why that was causing a problem though.